Thursday, September 24, 2009

My reading habits growing up weren’t that great. I never really sat down and read a book on my own time. Reading, to me has always been boring. Even when my parents read to me as a child I didn’t like it. My mother likes to read, but my dad does not like reading. Until I got older I realized I should’ve read books a lot more to understand sentence structures and other things. Also growing up, I was encouraged to read by family members, but I never listened to them. To me it seemed like they wanted to torture me with boredom, so I pretended to read. In reality I just stared at the pages aimlessly until I turned the page, every 5 minutes. I can honestly say that the first time I read an entire book was my freshmen year in high school. I liked reading and I wished I could sit and read but I didn’t have the patience. My life was always filled with too much entertainment to pay attention to a book. My younger sister is one of the few people in my family who loves to read, she is always reading a book when she has the free time. Unlike me she has read more books in her younger years than I read at that young age. Sometimes if I do read, I’ll start a book but I will not finish it. My sister is always talking about books that she has read and how good they are, or she’ll talk about her favorite one.

1 comment:

  1. I have a personal connection to this as well, I never read as a kid either. Reading requires patience and I don’t have that either. It’s great to realize that you like reading even though it wasn’t till later. Better later then never at all, right? You have great writing skills, you should start reading more.

    ReplyDelete