Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Word : Vacillate

Part of Speech : Verb

The Source Sentence and Page Number : “We vacillate and fluctuate.” Connect pg 153

Context Clues : S: fluctuate (change)

Definition : to sway unsteadily; waver; totter; stagger

Original Sentence : Before I make a decision, I usually vacillate for a while so I won’t make a decision that I would regret in the future.



The Word : Dote

Part of Speech : Verb

The source sentence and Page Number : "Now, whenever we visit my relatives, all of whom dote on my husband, I realize that he didn’t marry me despite my tribe; he married me because of them." Funny in Farsi, Page 103

Context Clues : Y: "All of whom dote on my husband."(if you marry someone it should be love)

Definition : To show excessive fondness of loveOriginal Sentence : My family dote towards each other.


The Word : Angst

Part of Speech : Noun

The Source Sentence and Page Number : “Against this backdrop of teenage angst, there would have to be a symbol, a representation of the confidence that comes with eventual intellectual and spiritual growth.” pg 140

Context Clue : Y: against teenage angst, a symbol of confidence ( something that is the opposite of being confident)

Definition : a feeling of dread, anxiety, or anguish(feeling of worrying, nervousness)

Original Sentence : When my math teacher said the average of the test scores from the class was 70%, I was very angst.

No comments:

Post a Comment