Thursday, October 1, 2009

Word: Frugal

Part of Speech: adjective

The source sentence and page #:After having baby-sat for every frugal family in town, I eventually hit the mother lode. p. 123

Context clues: She says she hit the mother lode after babysitting for every family in town, i think it means like they were average or they were bad familys that were cheap or something.

Definition:prudently saving or sparing, not wasteful, entailing little expense

Original Sentence:My frugal manager was short on my paycheck.


The Word : Regaled

Part of Speech : Adjective

The Source Sentence and page number : "When I first met him, he regaled me with stories of exotic places he had visited: the Maldive Islands, West Africa, Bali, Sri Lanka." pg 57

Context Clue : y: "stories of exotic places he had visited"

Definition : Of notable excellence or magnificence

Original Sentence : My teacher regaled me when she told me about her terrific experienced in France.

The word: Lavished

Part of Speech: Adjective

Source Sentence and (Page Num ber): “People lavished compliments on me” p. 11

Context Clues: Compliments and the impression the people gave her recommend that they were generous and extravagant because she new English.

Syn.Definition: Expending or bestowing profusely, generous way, extravagant, abundant, profuse.

Original Sentence: I was lavished with many roses on my graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment